RD8100® cable locator is engineered to deliver high precision for damage prevention when locating buried cables and pipes. This advanced range of underground utility locators offers optional integrated GPS and usage logging.
RD8100 is our most advanced range of high-precision cable locators and builds on over 40 years of pedigree to deliver performance, quality, and durability. Containing a unique arrangement of 5 custom-manufactured, precision-ground antennas, it allows you to choose the best method to locate specific pipes and cables.
With utility infrastructures becoming more complex, locate professionals require more powerful, flexible tools. Features such as Current Direction and iLOC on the cable locator combine with the versatile Tx Transmitter range to deliver high-precision locates even in tough conditions
Integrated GPS and usage-logging options automatically generate data for customer reports, or in-house quality and safety audits to promote best working practices. The RD Map app for Android is a real-time map and share tool that creates maps of buried utilities, while the RD Manager PC program provides a suite of useful tools to the user such as installing the latest software for their locator, remotely certifying their locators’ calibration using eCert™.
1. Power Filters™ – Use Power Filters™ to pinpoint and discriminate between power cables when a signal transmitter can’t be connected, tracing individual underground power lines through complex networks can be a real challenge: conflicting or powerful signals can confuse the operator, or combine to create a broad wash of signal. With a single keypress you can now utilize the harmonic properties of power signals to establish if a signal comes from one source, or from multiple cables, then trace and mark their routes.
2. Peak+ Mode – Combine the accuracy of Peak locating with the rapid ground coverage of Guidance arrows in the new Peak+ mode. A single key press lets you check for distortion by comparing Null with Peak. Peak mode locating is more accurate and less prone to distortion – that’s why it’s always been at the heart of Radiodetection’s cable and pipe locators. Null mode locating can be faster, but is inherently less accurate. Peak+ combined these modes, giving the accuracy of Peak and the speed of null.
3. Guidance Mode – Guidance Mode allows you to rapidly follow the path of a buried utility. Intuitive proportional arrows, a directional ‘needle’ and differentiated audio tones guide you along the target pipe or cable.
4. 4 kHz Locate Frequency – The 4 kHz locate frequency is designed for tracing high impedance lines such as twisted pair telecoms or street lighting. Since such utilities are often found in areas of dense infrastructure, you can combine 4 kHz with CD to ensure you follow the right line.
5. Automatic usage logging with GPS positioning – GPS equipped RD8100 cable and pipe locators (models ending with a ‘G’) automatically log key locate parameters every second, providing a comprehensive picture of individual locates, or allowing you to assess usage patterns over periods of a year or more. The data generated can be used to ensure compliance with best-practice, or to identify training needs before poor work habits develop. Additionally, the data can be used for internal audits or shared with partners or clients to evidence task completion, or compliance with their requirements. Usage data can be exported in multiple file formats – for example, KML for Google Maps to confirm where and when work was performed.
6. Network Frequencies – Up to 5 additional frequencies can be programmed into all RD8100 pipe and cable locators to match it to the signals found on your target networks.
7. Fault Find – Combine the RD8100 cable and pipe locator with an accessory A-frame to identify and pinpoint insulation sheath faults to within 4″ (10cm).
8. Current Direction (CD) – Current Direction is a powerful tool that augments the capabilities of pipe and cable locators to help operators pick out their target line from others nearby. Using fundamental properties of electromagnetism, CD allows you to locate your utility quickly, and eliminate wasted time following false trails.
9. RD Map™ App – RD Map™ uses Bluetooth to create, in real-time*, detailed maps of buried utilities: each survey measurement parameter is appended to the GPS positional information obtained by the locator, external or Android device to map the route of the tracked utility. Map files (CSV or KML) can then be shared via e-mail or any compatible messaging system.
* Requires data connectivity and availability of Google Maps.
Precision by Design
A unique arrangement of five custom-manufactured, precision-ground antennas delivers locate accuracy and repeatability. The RD8100 cable and pipe locator can use its 5 high-precision antennas in different configurations to tailor its locate performance to the task in hand.
Accurate Surveying with Integrated or External GPS
Save up to 1,000 survey measurements, capturing utility depth, and send to a mobile device using Bluetooth®. Add positional data with the integrated GPS option, or combine with external GNSS device using the wireless Bluetooth link to get the accuracy that you need.
Durable, Sealed Design – IP65
Designed for on-site use, with IP65 ingress protection against dust and water.
Save Time on Site with iLOC Remote Transmitter Control
iLOC is an advanced Bluetooth link between the RD8100 locator and TX-10B transmitter, which allows you to control the transmitter’s signal power and frequency from up to 1400’ / 450m away. Less time walking and more time locating.
Shallow Locate Warning – StrikeAlert™ in Active & Passive Locating
StrikeAlert reduces the risk of accidents by warning of the presence of shallow cables and pipes with both visual and audio warnings.
Locate in Difficult Environments with Dynamic Overload Protection
Dynamic Overload Protection filters out interference, enabling use in electrically noisy environments such as substations or in the presence of overhead power cables.
eCert – Certified confidence without downtime
Verify and certify the calibration of your locator over the internet using the RD Manager™PC software package – without returning the unit to a service center. Have confidence that the RD8100 is ready for action whenever you are.
The integrity of the measurement system can be confirmed on-site. Self-Test applies signals to the locating circuitry in the pipe and cable locator as well as checking display and power functions.
Download usage logging and survey measurement data for analysis and set-up calibrate and update your locator from a PC.
Support when you need it
Over 40 years of working alongside users on-site give us the confidence to back our product with a 3-year warranty, supported by our global service network. Our experienced teams and partners provide comprehensive technical support and training tailored to your needs.
Radiodetection’s new ranges of precision cable, pipe and radiofrequency marker locators build on the high-performance and advanced features of the existing RD8100 platforms. They add the ability to detect RF utility markers, also known as EMS or Omnimarkers.
The new RF marker locator ranges deliver surveys with a combination of speed, accuracy and convenience unmatched by any others’ solutions:
All the RF locators offer both an automatic marker depth measurement system, which eliminates the need for a 2 step manual process, and also a combined utility- and marker-locating mode.
Creating and sharing detailed maps, with utilities marked using APWA colour coding, is a simple task thanks to internal or external GPS options and Bluetooth connectivity to the new RD Map™ app for Android devices*. Using RD Map, operators can easily create maps in real-time*. At the end of a survey, maps can be easily shared from the app using e-mail or any other compatible messaging system.*
* Requires Android 5.1 or higher, data connectivity and Google Maps. Maps can be exported as CSV or KML files.
The optional internal GPS feature of the RD8100 range allows locating professionals to add positional data to survey measurements without the need to carry any additional equipment. Detailed maps can then be created at a later time, using RD Map or RD Manager (using a USB connection).
The new ranges of locators offer a number of features to easily identify target utilities and to track them with confidence:
- Guidance Mode: Displays directional information alongside depth and current information to help both find the utility and ensure the correct target is being traced.
- Peak+ Mode: Combines the accuracy of Peak locating with the rapid ground coverage of Guidance Mode. A single key press lets you check for distortion by comparing Null with Peak.
- Power Filters™: Power industry models, (PLM and RD8100 models) exploit the harmonic properties of power signals to identify the presence of multiple cables and distinguish between them.
- Customized Frequencies: Up to five additional frequencies can be programmed by the user to customize the RD8100 models to specific networks.
- 4 kHz locating with Current Direction, (CD): Enables mid-range tracing of high impedance lines such as twisted pair telecom lines or street lighting power cables (PDLM and PTLM models). Used in conjunction with CD, operators can be sure they are staying on the correct utility.
The automatic data logging on selected models provides operators with usage monitoring, enabling proof of work and improvement of best practice. Every second, key locator parameters are saved into the unit’s non-removable internal memory for later retrieval and analysis using the USB connection and RD Manager. GPS models further add the benefit of positional data, enhancing the value of survey data.
Minimal training will be required by those already familiar with Radiodetection’s premier RD8100 Precision Locators, and a three-year warranty is also available through product registration at no extra charge to provide additional peace of mind.